James and I were trying to remember what we did last weekend, and it took an astonishing long time to recall. Then we remembered that we got slurppees and did very little else, because it was a jillion degrees outside and the humidity was 500%.
This weekend the weather was not so inclimate, so we did more:
1. Beach--perfect, perfect weather. I love the West Coast, but the beaches there can be a bit mercurial. East Coast beaches are less moody, more dependable.
2. Rockaway Taco. Believe the hype. Hipster swarming grounds or not, these fish tacos will call me back again and again.
3. Basil harvest and pesto made.
4. Brooklyn Cyclones baseball game. Severe weather conditions were predicted, so they held the game while it rained cats and dogs. Score was 0-0 until the 8th inning, when the fire marshal insisted the post-game fireworks be set off. The Cyclones scored twice as the fireworks exploded. I've never felt so patriotic.
5. Strawberry cake made. It's been a while since I baked (or stood in the kitchen for longer than it takes to eat a nectarine), and I had to take frequent rest breaks, but, it was worth it.