You want to know what's totally overrated? Superbowl commercials. You know what's not? Olympic commercials. They're the commercials to watch.
The Olympics, a break-down:
1. (rachel mentioned this, but) Who else hates that Ryan Seacrest is, in any way, associated with the Olympics? He seems to only show up to talk about how many friends Ryan Lochte has on Facebook. And I'm like, hey, NBC, if I wanted to watch American Idol, I'd watch the X-Factor. I deal with this by changing the channel whenever he comes on. The message seems to be getting through, because I've been seeing less of him in recent days.
2. It's not that I want him to fail, but I kind of like Michael Phelps more this Olympics. He just seems more mortal, less, you know, like Michael Phelps. And does anyone else think he should marry Allison Schmitt? They train together, and I think she can be credited with his less uptight persona.
3. Heartbreak nation over here after yesterday's men's gymnastics. All I want is to see Jonathon Horton get a gold medal. Is that so much to ask? I love him, he's just so patriotic. He's the only person I've ever seen who might love the Olympics as much as I do.
4. But, come on, British gymnasts getting a medal? No one alive has ever seen the British men get a medal. That's something. And the princes were there. Good for you, Britain.
5. Someone give Jonathon Horton a gold medal. For being awesome and a team player and loving the USA.
6. In answer to James's question, I would soonest fight the rowing team's coxswain, because they are tiny, tiny people. Bossy, but tiny. And I would least like to fight anyone from any waterpolo team ever. Because they are giants and they fight dirty.
7. Women's weightlifting. Best hour I've ever spent.
8. If it's an Olympic sanctioned event, I will watch it, with the exception of tennis. I watch it, but sparingly. It's being shown on Bravo 24/7, but, I don't know. I watched a match with Andy Roddick and he was sassing the referee and being offered face towels every two seconds, and I don't know, it just seemed a little lacking in Olympic spirit.
9. What was not lacking was yesterday's 100-meter Backstroke final where the US went one/two with Matt Greveres and Nick Thoman. They were so happy and grateful and if you want to feel good, just watch that clip.
10. I mostly refrain from giving unsolicited advice on this blog, but here's some: if you're not watching the Olympics, start. You don't have to watch as much as I do, but watch it. Watch what they show in primetime, but watch other events too. Watch women's handball and men's field hockey, rowing and the Romanian rhythmic gymnastics team. Just watch.